Wednesday, June 18, 2008

The Empress's New Clothes

Carrie tells Mr.Big "You play poker, right. So when I accepted The Dress from Vivienne Westwood, it upped the stakes", in an effort to placate him on the humangous guestlist of 220 people! Hah, imagine a Indian wedding with 220 people. Neighbours would say "the are outcasts, hence they didnt have enough people to invite". In the States "thats a lot of people".

I'm a simple girl. Daddy's little girl if I may say so. Daddy spent his lunch hour shopping for clothes for his two little girls. It helped that his office building was bang in the center of the Central Business District and was dotted with shopping destinations in a 2 mile radius. I didnt have much to say in his choice, coz most of the times he had impeccable taste. He bought vibrant colours and the latest fashion. Infact I once remember him draping a sari around himself to see its effect!! He bought that for my mom, who was curling in embarrassment as the salespeople smirked away! Even today, dad loves buying sarees for mom...he knows better than to try buy stuff for either me or my sis!

Well, despite the fact that Dad was a connoiseur of clothes, he did buy stuff which would be considered prudish today. He was unaware that his girls were growing up and they wanted their opinion to matter on the clothes that were to drape their body. My very first rebellion started with my school uniform. Oh! How i wish I had my sexy hourglass figure of my school days! Our sports uniform was a red pleated skirt, a red shorts to be worn underneath and the usual while monpogrammed blouse. After I reached my puberty, I started growing taller. And kept refusing to order new skirts as I grew in height. It wasnt very long before my red unifrom was quickly starting to be considered a mini-skirt in school. I wasnt alone in my endeavours to trick the nuns and our parents. It was a class-wide rebellion! Alas, those girls who stared grwoing fat, were forced to get new skirts with the proper lady-like length! I do believe I still have one of those skirts in my wardrobe today. It sure does take me down a wonderful memory lane.

I grew up. Started college. Went for post graduate studies. Started working in a city far away from home. Inbetween, went through my relationships. Matured as a lady (I think). Made new friends. Lost some old ones to the vagaries of nature. But was always vain about my clothes. Now I didnt have enough money in those days to indulge in designer brands. I still dont. Or probably if I stretch myself, I can afford a Wendell Rodricks, Manish Malhotra or Rocky S creation once in 6 months. Or maybe even a Christian Dior outfit once in 2 years. But where was I supposed to wear them too? I definitely didnt hang out in the highest of high societies to flaunt my fashion labels. I was sensible, i didnt need those guys in my life. But I needed good clothes. Now let me tell you a common secret. Some things in life are addictive, alcohol, the occassional fag and clothes! Especially if you are a female.

So in my very own city, I discovered heaven. And the rest of the journey has sure been addictive. She's a designer who incidentally studied in my school although almost a decade before me! She was well aware of of our shortening hemlines while back in school and totally empathises with me when I speak of my fashion woes. Of course she would! I am after all one of her best customers! I spent atleast 2 weekends in a month at her place resplendent in her workroom, surrounded by the most beautiful fabric and colors and designs and cuts! Whenever I enter a bookstore, I invariably search out the Fashion corner. I watch Carrie and her 3 friends repeatedly on my DVDs just to gorge on their Donna Karans, Ralph Laurens, Christian Diors, Gianni Versaces, Fendi, Manola Blahniks, Jimmy Choos, Guccis. Someone...make me stop. I'm literally drooling while I write this blog....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ummm...u forgot to mention the power point presentation..or are u plannigng to upload it in ur blog :-)